Monday, October 3, 2011

gettin' real with paul



This weekend I went to my friend and former roomie Mike's wedding (pictures to come!). And, as has happened a few times during my circuit of wild wedding weekends, I was asked to read the ol' standby: part of Paul's letter to the Corinthians. And I have to tell you guys, no matter how many times I read it, that little snippet always, always, always just gets to me. 

I can feel you giving me eye rolls and oh-that-agains right now. But, honestly, whether you think it's cheesy or overplayed or obnoxious and whether you revere the Bible or scoff at its existence, you have to admit that Paul's definition of love is legit. It's my favorite. Especially the beginning. Because that kind of love is no joke. And that it's not easy. Then on top of that, Paul's all "Hey lady, now don't forget! You're supposed to offer that kind of love fully...and constantly...and to everyone."

Yeesh! Sometimes I can't help but be like "Paul, seriously, is this a joke?
Who do you think you are? I barely even like this person and you're all up in
my business telling me I need to love them?"  
And Paul's all, "Um, yes." 
And there I am, back in my place. Right where he put me. 
Dang you, Paul. 

I'm not talking about this verse to be preachy. 
I'm talking about it because it makes me think. 
What does it make you think? 

1 corinthians 13:1-13

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. 

It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, 
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. 

1 comment:

  1. I think it's beautiful and not recited enough. This world is going down the crapper and hearing this scripture more would do nothing but help!

    ReplyDelete