Monday, May 2, 2011

in the news


I can appreciate your reaction to the news of last night,
for whatever it is and for whatever your reasons are.

But I must say that I find it problematic when we do not choose 
the correct words to accurately describe our feelings or when we forget 
to carefully consider the implication of those reactions and react accordingly.

Mostly, I have found myself feeling incredibly disheartened 
by the reaction of my peers and my country today. 
I've described it as being too "sparklers and confetti" for me. 
And I can't explain why. But this is my offering:‎

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, 
but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. 
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, 
adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. 
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. 
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" 



1 comment:

  1. Yea... I know right? When we(husband & I) saw the cheering on the news that day, we felt like someone might as well come out with some soccer cheer too. It really did feel odd. I didn't feel happy and I couldn't pinpoint my exact feelings towards it either right away. Anyways, thanks for sharing your honest thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete