Friday, July 15, 2011

fair thee well


Hey townspeople! The fair is here! 

If you have gathered anything about me from this bliggity-blog, you know I'm down for a good time. And this year's classic example of American fun was no different. On Wednesday, I moseyed on down to the fair with one of my best friends. We pet some animals, gawked over the giant chickens and baby ducks, remembered how much we love fair food, and shortly afterward remembered how much fair food makes us sick. Then we made friends with the hand-dipped corn dog guy who told us very intimate details about his life -- including the fact that he had just reunited with his 40-year-old son whom he hasn't seen for 38 years. For serious.

Anyway, one oofta taco, a half-eaten corn dog and a plate of fried desserts later, I convinced Al to take old-timey photos with me. Using most of his energy to battle the dry heaves (thanks, fair food!), he finally, reluctantly gave in. You might think I took advantage of him in his weakened state, but I prefer to say I have impeccable timing. Let me tell you right now, taking old-timey photos at the fair is weird with a capital Whaaatdidwegetourselvesinto. We decided on the banditos photos and it was downhill from there, but only in the best way. The lady dressing Al had limited teeth and a bad attitude, well actually she had a good attitude but her jokes were moderately to severely offensive. Another lady made me take off my sandals for the picture, which I can only assume was because Mexican outlaws aren't into open-toed shoes (?). Then Santa - who apparently works a summer job at the Fargo old-timey photo booth - took two photos without telling us, wouldn't let us see them and then picked the one that was least flattering. The only reason I forgive him, is that it's probably in his contract to pick the most hideous, awkward photo option. I've seen a lot of these photos and not one of them is flattering. I'm pretty sure it's a national law or something. Only ugly old-timey photos or else! 

I'm off to find a scanner so I can show you our photo in all its hilarious glory. In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. I love good old fashioned fun! I think you're doing an awesome job of enjoying life :)

    ReplyDelete