Sunday, July 3, 2011

take that, lawrence "chunk" cohen

Haaay-ooooh!

I'm sitting in a hotel chair at the Hotel Al Bustan in Beirut. After spending the day laughing it up with my family, my sibbies and I are getting ready to go eat with our dad and cousins Hanadi and Nana. Don't you worry, I'm still stuffed to the brim from this gluttonous trip, but if I don't eat my sixth meal for the day, how ever will I nail down my near-perfect rendition of the truffle shuffle?

Anyway, as I mentioned in the last post, we've been sampling wonderful Lebanese eats and sweets non-stop. I would say our next meal will be no different, but I'm not sure that's totally accurate. Because, apparently, tonight my family is going to get all Arab Fear Factor by feasting on local delicacies like lamb brain, stuffed animal stomach, eyeballs, and baby birds (bones and all!).

Should I give you some time to change your pants? If so, you're preachin' to the choir, wildcat. My legs have been perma-crossed since I found out about my impending food adventure. Shouldn't I be up for, like, half a mil to swallow these sorts of things? Yoikes! Of course, there's no guarantee that I'll actually try everything (see: baby birds, bones and all!), but at some point you have to have a sense of adventure. And then you have to have a dang quesadilla. Because it's 2004 and that quote is about two seconds away from maxing out its shelf life.

But back to 2011. My half-Irish body is burnt to a crisp. My half-Lebanese heart is maxed out on love. And my whole self is fairly certain that I'm mere hours away from vomiting in a public place for the first time since, oooh I don't know, the Cavalier Town Fair circa 1998.

Here's a tip: Never ride the Gravitron after indulging in America's favorite corndogs/minidonuts combo. Only bad things will come of this. Trust me.

-----

Update: Just got back to the hotel and the weird things in my belly include: lamb brain, raw red meat and a baby bird (bones and all!). Sadly, there were no eyeballs on the menu, or I'm sure I would've eaten those, too. I can feel your judgey eyes across the Atlantic. But, I'll have you know that my friends adventure, peer pressure and I had a great time. (Pictures to follow.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Dani....Sounds like you are having a blast!! Love you and Miss you...travel Safely "home" and cant wait to see you super soon!!

    ReplyDelete