Wednesday, July 27, 2011

no 'poo 'do


Those who know me well know that when it comes to washing my hair, I'm a one to two-times-a-week kind of girl...Okay, it's definitely closer to one than two. I'm just not a big fan of the old lather, rinse, repeat... to the point where my coworkers have been running polls on how long it's been since my last wash. They make guesses, because they can't actually tell.

On a long stretch, I go 3-4 days hair down, then it's all up from there - ponytails, high buns, low buns, headbands, braids, scarves. The gamut. I'll do it all to avoid a wash. But I can. Because it's not greasy.

When you wash your hair every day or every other day, you're stripping your hair of the natural oils it needs to stay healthy. Your hair then overcompensates by trying to hurry up and add extra oil before you strip it again. Sad hair day, bad hair day. So, why not opt for unwashing and let your hair do it's own thing?

I can't go so far as to join the newly popular No 'Poo movement. Still, I'm a huge seller of the infrequent 'poo. And even though you're probably thinking this makes me a Grossie Mcgrosserson, I've convinced a number of my friends to hop on the bandwagon. Sure, it takes a few weeks of practically marrying a bottle of dry shampoo in order to keep your roots from looking completely soaked, but when it's over you'll save yourself so much time! And that - I think (and my converts would agree) - is totally worth it. Helloooo, way more time for pizza eating and lifetime movies? Yes please! 

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is "don't knock it til you try it." And by that I mean try it. I even promise to be there when you feel like whining about the in-between stage. Cross my heart!  


Please note: Just because I don't shampoo, doesn't mean I'm not clean. I rinse off in shower when need be. You know, to clean up after a work out (ha), to be extra warm, to knock all the bottles off the little ledges trying to shave my legs, etc. 

3 comments:

  1. youre adorable. i love you.

    and your hair.

    yay! getting so looongggg! gah, i miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you need to convert me. I've been thinking of doing this for one million years, but I've just been too afraid of that nasty in-between time. What kind of dry stuff did you use?

    Also, I added a disclaimer (*) to my latest blog. After reading many of your posts, I couldn't NOT add one.

    (Kara)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kara! You can totally do it. I use baby powder or treseme dry shampoo! If you're worried about the light color on your hair and are finding it doesn't blend all the way, you could also try this http://www.bumbleandbumble.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT72&PRODUCT_ID=176

    ReplyDelete