Thursday, June 9, 2011

like a kid in a candy store (or anywhere)





It's widely known that I'm the kind of person who revels in the small stuff. That I get a serious amount of excitement from life's little oddities and happy surprises. To others, but especially those who've just met me, my heightened reactions seem alarmingly disproportionate to the minuteness of the moment.

What can I say? My heart is easily filled with glee.

To be honest, that's something I'm really proud of. Somehow, after all the craziness that is this life, I still have a child-like wonder for the world around me. No matter how many disappointments, I'm still hopeful. No matter how many blessings, I'm still grateful.

And I'm lucky enough to have a few people in my life who are the same way. People who are blown away by life's little pleasures. Who are filled with unbridled appreciation for kind words, small acts and "unimportant" instances. 

This perspective reminds me of a song we used to sing in church, where God says "See, I am making all things new." To me, every second, every interaction is an opportunity to choose to experience joy. But you have to choose it. And I do. That's something I'll try my hardest to never change. 

Because life's a hell of a lot more fun this way. 


4 comments:

  1. Wonderment - well said Dani. Seriously, now that I'm a stay at home puppy sitter I may be the first to comment on ALL your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seany - i'm filled with happiness at the thought of it! how appropriate, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this video this morning & thought of you!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RgN9ijwE4&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  4. pahaha MARY! that's..uh-mazing. I'm so glad you thought of me :)

    ReplyDelete