Thursday, April 7, 2011

this ain't your mama's pacman


When it's time for lunch, you might go out to eat. Or you'll unpack your leftovers from last night. Or you'll microwave one of those smart ones and think about how skinny you'll be this summer to combat your feelings of hunger and disappoint. But sometimes, like if you're me, you'll play board games with your coworkers. 

I know what you're thinking. Aw, games. What a sweet, sweet girl. Well, I'm here to tell you that that little assumption of yours is f-a-l-s-untrue. 

You see, I was never much into sports (and that's being generous). But I have a board-game-only competitive streak. And let me tell you something my blogaroonis, it's not a good look on me. It scares children and adults alike. And I love adults and children! Alas, as much as a try (and try my hardest, I do), I just can't seem to be a good sport about losing board games. Not even around other people's families. And I love other people's families! 

It's because of my family, really. Case in point: We still give my brother Andrew the business for being the type of 11-year-old to take his forearm and violently whip all the little henchman off the Risk board when he was losing. Slash we were ganging up on him so we stood a chance. Sure, at 18 he's grown up by now. But every time we bust out Settlers of Catan or Ticket to Ride, my three other siblings and I can't resist looking at him with eyes that ask "Can you handle it this time, big boy?" ... Pretty sure he loves it. 

Weeknights, Saturdays, Holidays. When it comes to board games it's Christmas Shmistmas. We all quit "playing nice" for a shot at a win. It's the same reason that, if we have tricked someone into being our significant other,  we don't invite that person to cookie frosting or Goofy Movie night. No, we invite them to game night. Because if he or she can handle us after a few glasses of red wine and a couple rounds of SORRY!*we know they can handle us for good. 

And if you're under the sillypants impression that there's a better test of dedication out there then: a) i'm sorry friend, you're wrong b) no really, you're wrong c) come over on a holiday and i'll prove it 

Better luck next time, wildcat.


Ratatat - Wildcat


 *We're never actually "sorry". In fact, we pray out loud that you once you go back to home you won't draw a one or a two card for, like, eight turns at least. In my family, we don't even call it the Game of SORRY! - we call it the Game of "Haha. Got you again...idiot." 

4 comments:

  1. Im the same way, didn't like sports, LOVED games!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can attest to this. christmas time with your family was a game extravaganza and i loved every second of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As part of your family, I can attest that games are a good test of a boyfiend of his staying power. We played some board and card games with Andy when he came to visit my family at mom and dad's house....clearly he handled the pressure well, because I did marry him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just like to take the time to mention that I have gone undefeated in Ticket to Ride since you left.

    Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete